Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Canada Dry

Before you even ask--yes, it just went down.  Of course, I'm talkin about this vid:


Common has some serious words for Drake, and this is also one of the first times in awhile that a rapper was willing to address the target directly.  For those who don't know the story, go here.  



Personally, I'm torn.  Oh, not about who's killin' who.  To me that's obvious.  I'm torn because I like both rappers and appreciate what they bring to the table.  I bump Take Care and The Dreamer/The Believer.  But I'm here to tell you once and for all that Drake brought this shit on himself and started this whole thing.  Like that article I just mentioned said, that song Sweet, when I first heard it, Drake didn't even come to mind.  He took personal offense to it and here we are.  So what does he do, he puts down some more subliminal verses on Ross's Stay Schemin' talkin' about "nowadays when niggas reach it's just to sell they record."  Again, that could be directed at Com, might not.  Com kills it because he calls him out directly, so there's no mistaking who it's for.  Now there's nowhere for Drake to run, and it's pretty exciting.  Com's legend, but some of y'all still forget that Wheelchair Jimmy can rap.  It's not like all he does is sing and cry about females.



Don't do it. Please. Don't do it.


'Cause he catches bodies, too.  To be honest, I'd like to say Common was the bully pickin' on Wheelchair Jimmy on the playground, but really I think the only reason these two even decided to go at each other because for Common, Drake is about the easiest target to go on.  I'm not all that impressed that you chose the softest man in the game to tease.  Come on, Com! He be droppin' tears over just about every record he makes.  But that's him doin' him.  People like him.  I like him.  It is what it is. 


 The pot calling the kettle black, maybe?


On the other hand, Common is fighting a losing battle against the nature of the industry.  He is undoubtedly the most successful of a long list of rappers to have survived the test of time, a list that includes Andre 3000 and Black Thought, indisputably two of the greatest to ever live.  A lot of Drake's passive-aggressive lines fired in Com's general direction, to me, were more dismissive then anything, "all I ask is when you see me, speak up, nigga, that's all."  Drake can dismiss Common if he wants.  Because ultimately, as sad as it is, he has the younger generation behind him.  Little girls are gonna love him for at least the next three years, 'til the next thing comes along.  But let's address the real issue.  And by the real issue, I mean Mr. Kanye West.


The very first thing Drizzy said in Take Care, the very first thing.  "I think I killed everybody in the game last year."  That includes Ye.  That includes Em, that includes Hov.  Drake is startin' to sound like one of those dudes that forgets what he says moments after he says it.  I use these three as in example because they are three Drake would never go at.  Perfect example: Common's not the first rapper to call out rappers who sing too much.  Did you forget Death of Autotune off of Jay's Blueprint 3?  "My raps don't have melodies."  "You niggas jeans is too tight, ya colors too bright, ya voice is too light."  Drake would never go at Kanye.  He'd never go at Jay, since he already said he'd cry when he dies, but he probably forgot that too.  





No comments:

Post a Comment